What an NVT concession lets you do

When you’re becoming a lorry or bus driver, you can drive professionally for up to 12 months without taking the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 2 and part 4 tests.

To do this you must:

  • be taking an approved National Vocational Training (NVT) programme
  • have passed the theory and practical tests for lorry/bus

This is called an ‘NVT concession’ - you’re only allowed to use it once.

When the concession period starts and ends

The 12-month concession period starts from whichever of these is latest:

  • the start date of the NVT programme you’re taking
  • the date you passed practical test for lorry/bus

When the concession period ends

The NVT concession lasts for up to 12 months. It will end sooner if you:

  • stop taking the NVT programme
  • complete the NVT programme

You must have passed the Driver CPC part 2 and part 4 tests when the concession period ends. You must stop driving professionally if you haven’t.


You must be on an approved learning programme that lasts for at least 6 months and leads to a qualification.

The qualification must be:

  • based on relevant National Occupational Standards
  • at Level 2 on the Ofqual register or Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework level 5
  • accredited by a national awarding body that is externally regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation or the Scottish Qualifications Authority

Qualifications that meet the rules

Qualifications that currently meet these rules are:

  • level 2 award in knowledge for a professional bus or coach driver
  • level 2 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Diploma in passenger-carrying vehicles (bus and coach)
  • level 2 Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) in passenger-carrying vehicle driving (bus and coach)
  • QCF certificate in driving goods vehicles
  • BTEC in carry and deliver goods
  • SVQ driving goods vehicles

DVSA can consider qualifications that meet the rules but aren’t on this list.

Apply for the concession

To apply, complete the application form below and send it to us.

Application Form

You’ll be sent an NVT concession card to show that you’re registered on the NVT scheme when you are approved by DVSA/DVA.

By law you must carry the card when you’re working.